Birchwood Drive, Dartford, Kent, DA2 7NE

01322 522 151

Joydens Wood Junior School


Our SENCo at Joydens Wood Junior School is Mrs S Hensher


In September 2014 a new SEND Code of Practice was brought in to law. Below are the new definitions of Special Educational Needs and Disability.

Definition of SEN

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty if he or she:

  • Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream
    schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.
    SEN Code of Practice (2014, p 4)

Definition of disability

Many children and young people who have SEN may also have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 – that is’…a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term
and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’. This definition provides a relatively low threshold and includes more children
than many realise: ‘long-term’ is defined as ‘a year or more’ and ‘substantial’ is defined as ‘more than minor or trivial’ SEN Code of Practice (2014, p5)

Please click here to view our Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy.

Please click here to view our Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report.

For more information on the new Code of Practice please view the Department of Education’s guide.

If you are concerned that your child may have special educational needs please share your concerns with your child’s teacher who will speak to Mrs Hensher.   Your child’s class teacher will be continually assessing your child’s progress, if they have any concerns they will arrange a meeting to discuss them with you. From here a plan of action will be organised on how we will support your child. This may include a request for additional support and advice from external agencies.